This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Deep Sea Diver - North Sea

simpsonite
Deep Sea Diver - North Sea

Postby simpsonite » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi all,

My client is a North Sea Deep Sea Diver working off oil rigs.

He works for two companies and receives payslips.
Class 1 n.i is deducted from his pay but no tax is deducted.

Being a deep sea diver his earnings are assessable as trading income and not as employment income but he is exempt from class 4 n.i.

My query is whether he is also deemed self employed for vat purposes and should register for VAT now his earnings are well above the threshold limit?!

Thoughts much appreciated,
cheers

simpsonite

Generix

Re: Deep Sea Diver - North Sea

Postby Generix » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:20 pm

VAT status is generally dependent on employment status;

If he is an employee then his earnings are not within the scope of VAT.

If he is a contractor then his earnings are within the scope of VAT. (assuming UK resident - would need to check NSOM to see whether diving activity around a rig etc. qualifies as work related to land - else I guess would fall under basic rule which means only counts towards VAT threshold if your customer is UK established).
Do you adore to transfer your artistic and inventive qualities to renovate a part type? Perhaps your friends who tour your sanctuary head remarks about want they could levy you to change their premises.

simpsonite

Postby simpsonite » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi Generix,

Yes agreed, if he is an employee then his earnings are not within the scope of VAT.

But whether he is an employee or self employed is not entirely clear & that is my query with regard to his potential VAT registration in this instance.

He receives payslips & they deduct class 1 n.i. So that would indicate a service of employment.

But, Revenue guidiance BIM53951 states that divers are assessable as trading income & not employment.

His employers also do not deduct any tax from his earnings in line with his "trading status".

The North Sea is deemed part of the Uk for tax purposes. My client is also UK domiciled.
What is NSOM & relevance of diving around a rig as related to land?

Generix

Postby Generix » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:11 pm

NSOM is the north sea oil memorandum - and is a tax guidance paper for oil and related activities taking place in the north sea.

I will endeavour to check it for you - unlikely to be today though :(
Do you adore to transfer your artistic and inventive qualities to renovate a part type? Perhaps your friends who tour your sanctuary head remarks about want they could levy you to change their premises.

simpsonite

Postby simpsonite » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:29 pm

much appreciated!

regards

simpsonite

simpsonite

Postby simpsonite » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi all,

does anyone have any practical knowledge of this issue?

thoughts appreciated,

cheers

Generix

Postby Generix » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:39 pm

Hi all,

does anyone have any practical knowledge of this issue?

thoughts appreciated,

cheers
What is the nature of his diving activities? surveying seabed? engineering? Work on rig?

Grahamstax

Postby Grahamstax » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi

Did you get any further info on this? My friend has asked me to have a look at his tax affairs. He is a deep sea diver, mainly north sea but some international jobs. The main company he works with deduct class 1 ni from his pay and issue payslips and p60s

I am led to believe that deep sea diving is generally classed as self employed trading income however if that's the case why is he paying class 1 and will he also be expected to pay class 2 and 4 and cam he reclaim the class 1 deducted at source

He has also just earned over the vat threshold for the first time so if he is classed as self employed would he automatically be liable for vat and would it be at full 20%

Sorry formally the questions but this seems to be a very grey area!!

Generix

Postby Generix » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:03 pm

Not sure about the employment status part.

Assuming they are self employed, then what is the nature of the service they are actually providing further to my previous question above.

If you google "North Sea Oil Memorandum" then you may find something useful for the VAT treatment in there.

Else you can revert back here and I will try to assist.

Grahamstax

Postby Grahamstax » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:12 pm

Hi

He is based on a boat in the North Sea about 80% of the time and generally is involved in maintenance, construction and inspection of rigs

I will have a look at the nsom, thanks!

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”