This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Zero rate for new build trenches work?

dotto
Zero rate for new build trenches work?

Postby dotto » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:22 am

We have employed a company to dig the trenches and lay the ducting for bringing utility services to two new self builds. This involved excavating 36 metres down the private access road. They are charging VAT for this work. I am not sure at this stage whether any of the VAT would be reclaimable.
The same company has quoted to reconstruct and resurface the access road and have indicated that this will be zero rated.
My question is - should the trench work also be zero rated.

Thank you for any help.

les35

Re: Zero rate for new build trenches work?

Postby les35 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:36 pm

I would expect works in the course of construction of a new dwelling would be zero rated. This will apply whether or not the project is a D-I-Y project. You cannot recover incorrectly charged VAT under the D-I-Y scheme.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”