This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Petrol expenses company Vehicle

Petrol expenses company Vehicle

Postby 170872 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:13 pm

Hi All,

I wonder if someone can give me some advice. I have two clients one is a cleaner and another is a Builder both Ltd company with company Van.

Can I claim all petrol expenses and the VAT element? or is it better and beneficial to claim busines milleage?

If I claim VAT on petrol do I have to use scale charge to reduce input vat?

Thanks in advance

les35

Re: Petrol expenses company Vehicle

Postby les35 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:51 pm

When a business uses a van rather than a car, the scale charge does not apply. It is assumed that the vehicle is only used for business mileage. Technically, any non-business mileage does have to be accounted for, but if it is not significant, then it can be ignored.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”