This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT on Royalties

amitr19
VAT on Royalties

Postby amitr19 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi All

A tricky question:

An author has agreed to donate all his book royalties to a well known charity. The name & logo of the charity will be printed on each book stating that all proceeds go to charity. The charity is dealing directly with the publishing company.

Is this a donation or a supply of name & logo to the publisher/author? Does the charity need to invoice the publishing company + VAT?

I think the point I am making is that the charity is supplying its logo. This will most certainly drive the sales up for the book and provide publicity to the author. As such, it cannot be a pure donation.

Any thoughts?

AR

section 44

Re: VAT on Royalties

Postby section 44 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:52 pm

I think the point I am making is that the charity is supplying its logo.
I don't think HMRC would view this in this way, although I get your point.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”