This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Limited cost trader for VAT

Aubyns
Limited cost trader for VAT

Postby Aubyns » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Hello everyone,

I have contacted by many of my client's who provide services as Lorry Drivers, many of whom work through their own Limited company.

Most of them were VAT registered and after my advise most of them deregistered as I consider them to be Limited cost traders.

Now many of my client are claiming that their fellow workers are still registered and using the FRS scheme at 12% rate and their Accountants are claiming these for them.

From my understanding if you only provide your service as a driver then the petrol/motor expenses would not be considered as relevant goods and therefore the FRS rate of 16.5% would apply.

Please could let me know if I am misunderstanding the legislation and advising the clients incorrect.

Regards

Aubyn

bibescu

Re: Limited cost trader for VAT

Postby bibescu » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:24 pm

According VAT notice 733

Relevant goods are goods that are used exclusively for the purposes of your business, but don’t include:
- vehicle costs including fuel, unless you’re operating in the transport sector using your own, or a leased vehicle.

For transport sector, vehicle costs including fuel are relevant goods.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”