This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT on Service supplied to EU

EchoTaxHelp
VAT on Service supplied to EU

Postby EchoTaxHelp » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Hi

I have supplied some marketing services (which would be liable to UK VAT if supplied to the UK) to a Republic of Ireland based company. I am UK VAT registered. Do I add UK VAT to my invoice? Will this depend on whether the customer is a (VAT registered) Irish corporate entity versus part of a larger US organisation?

les35

Re: VAT on Service supplied to EU

Postby les35 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:56 am

You need your customer's VRN, which you quote on all sales invoices to them. You also need additional wording; Notice 725, para 16.16 explains this: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rd-keeping
And, depending on the value of such sales, you will need to submit an EC Sales List.
And, don't charge VAT.

EchoTaxHelp

Postby EchoTaxHelp » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:46 pm

Thanks les35 that is very helpful. I will get the VRN from customer and use the wording from gov.uk website on my invoice. So no VAT added then. I guess section 4.3 here is explanation of this, right?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-725-the-single-market/vat-notice-726-the-single-market#vat-in-the-ec

les35

Postby les35 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:11 pm

Confusingly, para 4.3 of Notice 725 is not relevant; but read Notice 741A, chapter 5. This is because you are supplying services, not goods.
But the accounting entries are the same.

EchoTaxHelp

Postby EchoTaxHelp » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:55 pm

OK, thanks again Les35 !

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”