This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

deisgn and build contracts

Nonimous
deisgn and build contracts

Postby Nonimous » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:17 pm

Client (who is a property developer) has planning permission to build 3 properties but wants to let rather than sell. Am assuming lease is under 20 years

Client is aware that residential property lets are exempt thus any VAT due on construction will be irrecoverable.

My initial thought would be to get them constructed on a design and build contract thus professional fees would follow the general liability. However, I have heard that HMRC were attacking this - any thoughts?

Only other thing I can think of is that builder builds and then client buys. Ciient pays no VAT, builder gets it all back.

pawncob

Re: deisgn and build contracts

Postby pawncob » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:13 pm

Set up a LTD for the development and then sell to the client.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Nonimous

Postby Nonimous » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:13 pm

yes that would work, is there anything to watch out for other than SDLT?

davebrownvat

Postby davebrownvat » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:41 pm

Set up a LTD for the development and then sell to the client.
Surely that would trigger a corporate tax liability for the sale of the properties?

Why not just set up a separate company to be the main contractor - zero rated build, and do a formal design & build contract to boot? I'm not aware of HMRC targeting this arrangement, but if worse comes to worse, you'll still be no worse off than if you didn't do it. Notice 708 (online, today) shows d&b as zero rated, so if an attack was made, I can't see how it could work - and certainly following HMRC guidance is likely to be an acceptable excuse against a penalty.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”