This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

DIY vat reclaim

davebrownvat
Re: DIY vat reclaim

Postby davebrownvat » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:25 pm

I'd recommend complaints asap. On one of the cases, the claimant emailed his MP. The MP passed over the complaint to the Treasury and eventually HMRC told the MP the self-same bumf that the claimant had already been told. I told the claimant to give the MP some grief about simply accepting what he was told by HMRC. It worked. On later complaints, I made the point that the MP should not just accept what HMRC said and that has worked wonders.

The reasonable excuse business is, once again, a load of nonsense. The claimant responds to HMRC, giving full details of the circumstances. HMRC reject the claim. The claimant responds again forcefully and HMRC come back "OK we've been good guys and we've allowed the claim on grounds of reasonable excuse". They just don't want to give in on grounds that they've been too heavy handed, or else don't want to admit that they changed the ground rules...

It's pathetic.

And I now have another two cases lined up for the Tax Tribunal, at which I will be quoting the Farquharson case.

What might be useful is to contact Building Control and get a copy of their visit notes. Two out of three weren't too helpful, but on another case, it will be invaluable (not into the Tribunal system yet).

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”