This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Cannot charge VAT on any income. Exempt from having to register?

GenesisD
Cannot charge VAT on any income. Exempt from having to register?

Postby GenesisD » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:44 pm

I believe I may go over the VAT threshold this year but the vast majority of my income is from sources where I can't charge VAT or VAT has already been applied, such as income from Twitch streaming, Patreon etc. Do I still need to register for VAT or should I apply for exemption based on these grounds?

Thank you!

les35

Re: Cannot charge VAT on any income. Exempt from having to register?

Postby les35 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:07 pm

If you are being charged VAT, you will be able to claim it when you register.
Why do you say 'VAT has already been applied'?

GenesisD

Postby GenesisD » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:04 pm

I cannot charge additional VAT for income I receive through Patreon or Twitch. People subscribing to me through these services already pay VAT if they are in the UK and Patreon/Twitch themselves receive this amount before I get a cut of the money.

robbob

Postby robbob » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:32 am

I cannot charge additional VAT for income I receive through Patreon or Twitch. People subscribing to me through these services already pay VAT if they are in the UK and Patreon/Twitch themselves receive this amount before I get a cut of the money.
You need to look at who is selling what to who and start from there , do they pay you £10 then you pay twitch £2 - or do they pay twitch £10 and twitch pay you £8 - or do twitch simply pay you a commission. Hmmmm i must be getting old i don't even know what twitch or Patreon are - sigh.

GenesisD

Postby GenesisD » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:43 pm

For example, they subscribe to my twitch channel for £5, they will pay Twitch the extra 20%VAT (so £6) and I receive 50% of the original amount or £2.50. VAT is not something that can be handled by me. Same goes for Patreon.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”