This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Claiming VAT on Stock held at Registration

CashingOut
Claiming VAT on Stock held at Registration

Postby CashingOut » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:45 pm

My daughter’s incorporated beauty salon business has had to register for VAT from 1 October 2018.

I understand that it can reclaim input VAT on goods bought within the previous 4 years for the business to the extent they have not been consumed by 1 October.

The salon does hold some stock for sale to retail customers.

But the majority of stock at 1 October is small bottles of nail varnish - hundreds of them. These are used bit by bit over a period of years when a customer selects a particular colour.

Regulation 111 says that the Commissioners may require a "stock account showing separately quantities purchased, quantities used in the making of other goods, date of purchase and date and manner of subsequent disposals of both such quantities."

I am concerned that whilst her business can properly record the date and manner of stock retail sales, is it really expected to record details of small utilisation of nail varnishes each time a customer uses a colour? Or in respect of nail varnish utilisation will it be sufficient to record the date that a bottle in stock at 1 October 2018 gets empty or is thrown away when the contents get too gloopy?

Also each opened bottle was treated as 50% full for calculating stock at 1 October. As the bottles are thrown away when slightly less that half full (when they go gloopy) this under-estimates stock levels. Will this treatment be acceptable to the VATman?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

les35

Re: Claiming VAT on Stock held at Registration

Postby les35 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:51 am

Any reasonable estimate of the value of the stock on hand, and therefore the VAT to be claimed is fine. Make sure you keep a record of the calculation, and a print of this forum thread.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”