This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT Square EU Triangular

AladinWigan
VAT Square EU Triangular

Postby AladinWigan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:17 pm

Hi,

we are a UK company A, buying product from a Dutch company B, selling to an Rep O' Ireland company C with material being delivered from Supplier B direct to company C's customer - Company D in The Netherlands.

We are being invoiced by Dutch supplier company B with VAT. We are not registered for VAT in EU but we are in UK.
We will be Invoicing RO Ireland company without VAT.
The Irish company C will be invoicing their customer D presumably with VAT.

Can we claim back the VAT through the VAT refund scheme ? The product is paper.

Thanks if you can help.

Al.

Trevor S

Re: VAT Square EU Triangular

Postby Trevor S » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:14 am

Reading this: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-refunds-for-uk-businesses-buying-from-other-eu-countries I don't think you can claim. The goods do not leave the Netherlands (so the Dutch company is correct to charge VAT), and you are buying them for resale (one of the examples given of when you can't claim.

Further, you may need to consider registering for VAT in the Netherlands. An internet search on "Dutch VAT Registration Threshold" suggests that the limit for nonresident businesses is zero - implying that you may have to register there as soon as you make any supplies. I don't have Dutch VAT experience, but I'd suggest it would be worth you getting advice from someone who has.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”