This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT back dated Registration

touseef_acca
VAT back dated Registration

Postby touseef_acca » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:51 am

Hi ,

I have a very basic level question. I have recently been registered for VAT. I back dated my registration to June, 2018 (Effective registration Date). The certificate shows returns should be submitted till 31st march,2019 and three months there after.
Can some one please guide should i be submitting one return till 31st March, 2018 accounting for all output and input VAT or should i submit 3 VAT returns covering periods sept 2018, Dec 2018 and then till 31st March, 2019.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

darthblingbling

Re: VAT back dated Registration

Postby darthblingbling » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:00 am

What was the reason for backdating your registration?

touseef_acca

Postby touseef_acca » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:02 am

What was the reason for backdating your registration?
I crossed my threshold in June, 2018 but didn't realize it untill end of accounting year

robbob

Postby robbob » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:02 am

You will only be issued with one return which should be done from start to 31/3/19 albeit you will get a stroppy letter from hmrc asking you to calculate stuff up to a certain point in time so they can ascertain whether penalties need to be charged and the level of those penalties - hopefully it will be of the suspended variety.

don't forget about vat on assets / goods / services you can claim pre registration and also you may have the ability to add vat to obliging customers who you have billed without vat after the date of registration.

https://www.gov.uk/vat-registration/purchases-made-before-registration

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”