This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Share of commission / rebate

Trevor S
Share of commission / rebate

Postby Trevor S » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:17 pm

The arrangements are that booking company (B) has signed up a number of venues. Hirers (H) contacts B with their requirements, and B provides a shortlist of suitable venues. H selects their preferred venue (V), and B makes the booking with V.

V invoices H directly. VAT treatment is straight forward – exempt if room hire only and no option to tax, but sufficient additional facilities may result in an overall standard rated treatment.

V pays B a commission. Again straight forward, consideration for a standard rated supply of services by B to V.

B makes no charge to H for organising the booking, and actually pays over a percentage of the commission that they have received from V as a "rebate". On the assumption that H is VAT registered, what’s the VAT liability of H's income?

I’ve discounted the idea of it being a reduction in the consideration for the venue hire, as if it were that, V could simply reduce their charge to H, rather than pass money through B. I’d like to think that its outside the scope of VAT on the basis that H isn’t making any supply to B. But I can’t help wondering whether it may be viewed similarly to the concept of inducements paid by landlords to anchor tenants (as in Mirror Group ECJ case), i.e. having hirers using B makes it easier for B to recruit additional venues, in the same way that securing an anchor tenant for a site makes it easier for landlords to find tenants for the remaining units.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this aspect of the arrangement!

Thanks

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”