This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT on print and online magazine advertising

Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:39 pm

VAT on print and online magazine advertising

Postby lornaq13 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:46 pm


My partner and I run a news website and print magazine where customers can subscribe to read news articles. Also companies advertise with us both online and also in the print magazine. I have had conflicting advice around when I should be charging VAT. I know that print magazines in the UK and EU are zero rated, but it is more the advertising side I am confused about.

Could anyone please help, I need to know if I should be charging VAT and at what rate in the following situations:
Print subscriber in the UK
Print subscriber in the EU
Print subscriber outside the EU
Online subscriber in the UK
Online subscriber in the EU
Online subscriber outside the EU
Print advertiser in the UK
Print advertiser in the EU
Print advertiser outside the EU
Online advertiser in the UK
Online advertiser in the EU
Online advertiser outside the EU

I hope it's ok to ask this. This is my first time using this forum and I have tried to search to see if this has been asked before, but couldn't find anything.
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:09 pm

Re: VAT on print and online magazine advertising

Postby les35 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:33 pm

There is loads of stuff on the HMRC website, but you have raised a set of inter-dependent questions:
- single or multiple supplies: and
- place of supply.
Each can be tricky; and both together can be pretty complex.

Sorry to be a kill-joy, but you should engage a specialist to provide clear written advice with relevant references to statute and HMRC guidance. And also, how will Brexit affect your activities.

(To be cheeky, DM me and we can speak.)

Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:33 pm

Re: VAT on print and online magazine advertising

Postby mehranmichail » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:10 am

1. Firrst we need to see whether advertising is standard rated, zero rated or exempt.
My research on topic says that advertising services is standard rated. General relief is available for charities.
2. Determine place of supply, where u make supply. If your supply is in UK, charge UK VAT, if your supply is in EU, then no UK VAT. Uk VAT applies only if place of supply is UK.
3. Your customers, are they businesses are individuals. If Businesses then place of supply is where the customer belongs. If you supply advertising to individuals then place of supply is where supplier belongs I. E you.
This is based on my understanding, any corrections most welcome.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”