This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT Duty on alcohol for EU transfers

ns2019
VAT Duty on alcohol for EU transfers

Postby ns2019 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:44 pm

<t>I have a friend who lives in the EU. He wants to ship some of his wine collection to the UK for sale here. The wine is kept at his house and is tax paid in the country where he lives.<br/>
As I understand it - he can bring his wine to the UK as part of his own belongings but he would need to declare it and pay VAT and duty in the UK because he intends to sell it. Obviously, if he just shipped it he would need to pay the duty VAT too.<br/> So, effectively he is paying sales tax twice.

I wondered what other option might exist for him?

Is a Temporary storage/admission option available if the wine is sold to a 3rd party who reside outside the EU? This doesn't seem to cover this kind of good.</t>

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”