This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT charge

ChrisBL
VAT charge

Postby ChrisBL » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:36 am

Hi,

I am a VAT registered business Hotel and Accommodation.

If I buy goods, say Flowers, for a guest and do not charge any profit on top. Can I put that sale through as VAT exempt or VAT at 0%?

robbob

Re: VAT charge

Postby robbob » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:29 am

Can I put that sale through as VAT exempt or VAT at 0%?
No if its a standard rates services/supplies being billed for (flowers are standard rated) then you charge vat simples - vat works on what you sell and what you buy, whether there is a profit element being made doesn't really come into the equation.

Note you can claim vat back on the flowers bought presuming vat was paid so you shouldn't be out of pocket - unless you are on the flat rate or some similar that restricts input vat claims.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”