This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Getting authorised by a new client in new agent services account

hardy
Getting authorised by a new client in new agent services account

Postby hardy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:02 pm

Has anybody succesfully set up a new client for MTD using their agent services account. I clicked the link ask a client to authorise you and after entering their details I got the message the client cannot authorise you for this service as they have not yet signed up. I therefore tried to sign them up for VAT for MTD first as an agent and got a message saying I can not sign this client up as I am not authorised to act for them so I am going round in circles. I used the get help with this page link and got an automated reply from HMRC to use their guidance step by step for agents which simply said to sign up a new client you go into your agent services account and click the link get authorised by a client so back to step 1. So their help was no help at all. Has anybody else had this problem, or does anybody know what I should be doing?

robbob

Re: Getting authorised by a new client in new agent services account

Postby robbob » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:06 am

Hello hardy
I therefore tried to sign them up for VAT for MTD first as an agent and got a message saying I can not sign this client up as I am not authorised to act for them so I am going round in circles.
This process will only work if your client exists within your new Agent services account - in theory within your new agent services account there is the magic button your press that will copy all your existing clients that are within your old gateway into the new gateway. i have been told once this button is pressed future synching should be automatic from old to new.

The first problem is that no list exists within the new ASA account so there is no way to check if you client is within the gateway.

Providing the client exists in the old gateway and you have merged two gateways together then you should be able to follow the process to signup the client for mtd

link for signup for agents via this page
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/sign-up-for-making-tax-digital-for-vat

Another likely problem you will find is that links take you to the wrong webpage - you may need to use in private mode or different browser to your normal browser so links take you to correect signup link rather than.

all a complete shambles and complaints should be submitted to appropriate departments / bodies that the whole process is a shambles - its not so bad when you know how to do it and it is working but it should work and and be simple and it aint.

Other important info - the minute you transfer client you lose the ability to setup direct debits / lose ability to do vat dereg and lose ability to view cert of registration - so i would recommend taking copy of cert of reg and ensuring vat dd position is as expected before doing the transfer. Only way to setup direct debit at present under mtd is via old school paper form or for client to do via their gateway.

hardy

Postby hardy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:38 pm

This is not a client that existed in my original account, but a new client so they did not come over with my other clients when I did the link

robbob

Postby robbob » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:50 pm

This is not a client that existed in my original account, but a new client so they did not come over with my other clients when I did the link
doh
Personally i am following old authorisation process for vat pincodes to load new clients into old system - i feel happier that i can actually see that they exist - if you do that client will automatically be copies across.
I clicked the link ask a client to authorise you and after entering their details I got the message the client cannot authorise you for this service as they have not yet signed up.
Providing you have done this from within the new agent services account i would presume you have done everything correctly and this is an hmrc issue/problem for whatever reason - hopefully the online mtd vat helpdesk can advise - i am presuming the client doesn't need to have an active gateway as it doesn't mention that is a requirement but that would be my slight worry that perhaps one may be needed?

You could give it another go via using a different browser from the "Ask a client to authorise you" box onwards to see if that works - there are various glitches that are purely browser related/

i guess you could also try authorising a different client or perhaps your own business to see if it a problem related to that specific client.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”