This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT Applicable on Cooking Tuition

karab23
VAT Applicable on Cooking Tuition

Postby karab23 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:15 pm

Hi,

I have just found out that I may have crossed the threshold as far back as May 2018. I am a sole trader and have had an accountant for a few years. I think they should have warned or helped advise me, but that's a different story. I may now be facing a huge bill and fines.

My question is to understand what rate applies to my business, given what I offer. I teach Korean cookery to students across SE England. This can include me teaching a group class how to prepare ingredients that I give them during the class, which they then take homw with them for a meal after, sushi for example. Is this classed as tuition, as I know some forms of tuition may not have the standard rate applied? Is it a take-away, as 80% of my business involves students preparing food in a hands-on class, that they then take home? Am I selling raw ingredients, that are prepared by others, under my guidance?

Any help and advice much appreciated!

Kim

darthblingbling

Re: VAT Applicable on Cooking Tuition

Postby darthblingbling » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:29 pm

Is turnover over 12 months exceeding £85k?

karab23

Postby karab23 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:14 pm

Yes it is over £85k

les35

Postby les35 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:44 am

1. the supply of food is 'ancillary' to the supply of tuition.
2. is cookery 'ordinarily taught in schools'? I can't immediately see an explicit reference to cookery as a school subject. But that is the question you will need to establish.

karab23

Postby karab23 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:54 am

Thanks for your reply. Yes, cookery and the culinary arts is taught in schools and universities. I am a trained chef and also occasionaly teach in more formal institutions. Cookery is taught in my son's primary school for example.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”