This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Option to Tax - Disapplying

Newhere
Option to Tax - Disapplying

Postby Newhere » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:29 pm

Hello all
Asking for a mate.
He bought a commercial property last year for 90,000 and did not pay the VAT 18k (TOGC) as advised by his accountant because the seller was charging VAT. He let the property and was charging VAT on rent.
He is VAT registered

He also has LTD company as used car dealer and VAT registered. Now he wants to move to this property.

Is is time to to dis-apply for VAT registration and pay back the VAT claimed because he is a connected party gov.uk/guidance/opting-to-tax-land-and-buildings-notice-742a#sec13.?

thanks

les35

Re: Option to Tax - Disapplying

Postby les35 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:01 pm

If he deregisters the property rental business he will have to account for VAT under the deemed supply rule. Arithmetically this is probably the same as the what you are thinking.
But there will be a solution which does not involve repayment of the VAT; perhaps a Group registration if he is eligible.

Newhere

Postby Newhere » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:36 am

thanks les35 for your comment.

I will try to rephrase it again to clarify my question as it turns out he reclaimed the VAT later. and also more accurate information now.

Mark bought the commercial property [showroom] for £90,000+VAT for £118,000 and claimed back the 18k by opt to tax the property.
Both he himself and the ltd co are VAT registered.
He is intends to let this property to his ltd company and charge rent £1000+vat and submit two vat returns every quarter, his personal and ltd co..

There are no groups etc involved.

I did some research and I thought as he is the connected party to his Ltd co and per anti-avoidance measure he should not have reclaimed the VAT.
gov.uk/guidance/opting-to-tax-land-and-buildings-notice-742a#sec13

It has been over 9 months now. What is his position now?
thanks

les35

Postby les35 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:07 pm

The anti-avoidance legislation you refer to only applies if the tenant is partially exempt, which is not common for a motor dealer.
From your updated post there is no VAT charge, and no need to go down the Group registration route.
But I am reluctant to be more specific without sight of documents (VAT and property etc being very tricky!).

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”