This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Bonded Warehouse Duty

BondedWarehouse
Bonded Warehouse Duty

Postby BondedWarehouse » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can offer any assistance. We are a bonded warehouse and one of our customers have asked us to dispose of some bottles that have been on site since 2014. As we have never disposed alcohol on behalf of our customer before, we are unsure of what the process would be. From what I have read online, I think we need to fill out a W5 form to pay the duty on the bottles to then be able to dispose them. Can anyone offer any further assistance on what the process may be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

alanexcise

Re: Bonded Warehouse Duty

Postby alanexcise » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:10 pm

If you mean the activity is subject to excise warehousing provisions (there is no such thing as a "bonded warehouse" in excise law), then if you mean to destroy the goods by "disposal" then this is permitted such that no duty is payable. See Notice 197 paragraph 14.10: Destructions. The problem is that N197 section dealing with this is called "Miscellaneous removals" in the contents page so offers no assistance to the reader trying to find an answer. This has been raised year after year with HMRC Policy re the structure of the notoces, to no avail.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”