This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Final VAT Return question

john1233
Final VAT Return question

Postby john1233 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:28 pm

Hi there

I have a question about my final VAT return. I own some stock purchased from EU supplier which was sent to me on zero rate (B2B). How do I account for this on my final return?

Do I have to assume its sell value at the time of return?

Any help would be appreciated.

john1233

Re: Final VAT Return question

Postby john1233 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:24 am

Hi there

I have a question about my final VAT return. I own some stock purchased from EU supplier which was sent to me on zero rate (B2B). How do I account for this on my final return?

Do I have to assume its sell value at the time of return?

Any help would be appreciated.
Forgot to mention that the Value of this stock is around £11k

Trevor S

Re: Final VAT Return question

Postby Trevor S » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:45 am

I'm assuming that at the time you bought the stock, you were VAT registered. Therefore although your supplier wouldn't have shown VAT on their invoice, you would have calculated acquisition VAT. You would have paid this to HMRC on box 2 of your return, and reclaimed it in box 4.

Provided that you've done the acquisition VAT accounting, these items now just form part of your stock. I don't think that the fact they were originally sourced from elsewhere in the EU has any significance to the treatment on deregistration. HMRC guidance is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-70011-cancelling-your-registration/vat-notice-70011-cancelling-your-registration#section-7
My understanding of this is that you need to account for VAT on all the items listed in section 7.2, in the same way that you would if you were selling them, if that VAT would exceed £1,000 in total. The valuation basis is covered by section 7.8. If the stock is valued at £11k, then you would appear to be over the limit.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”