This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self Build VAT Reclaim - selling a partly constructed building

overweightemon
Self Build VAT Reclaim - selling a partly constructed building

Postby overweightemon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:05 pm

Can anyone advise on the process where a self builder sells a partly completed eligible building to another self builder? How is the VAT reclaim handled in this case?

It seems that the scenario is supported as scraps of advice in the VAT manual discuss it or related concepts:

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/vat-construction/vconst24250

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/vat-construction/vconst03550

..in that the "person constructing a building" status can be transferred/acquired/inherited. I'm not really clear on the part where the vendor-selfbuilder has to wait until the purchaser-selfbuilder (ina simple chain of two people) seemingly has to wait until the building is complete - how will the vendor know, so as to not miss the 3 month deadline etc? How will the vendor provide evidence that the building has been completed (must they wait until the purchaser submits? What if the purchaser does not?

overweightemon

Re: Self Build VAT Reclaim - selling a partly constructed building

Postby overweightemon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:34 pm

Correction:
I'm not really clear on the part where the vendor-selfbuilder has to wait until the purchaser-selfbuilder (ina simple chain of two people) seemingly has to wait until the building is complete
Should say:

I'm not really clear on the part where the vendor-selfbuilder seemingly has to wait until the purchaser-selfbuilder (in a simple chain of two selfbuilders) completes the building

les35

Re: Self Build VAT Reclaim - selling a partly constructed building

Postby les35 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:59 pm

If I were advising the builder who sold the partly completed dwelling, I would register for VAT, since the supply is zero rated, and recover VAT on materials, etc.
Given HMRC's current aggressive approach to DIY claims I suspect they would reject any attempt to claim under the scheme.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”