This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Agent or not?

Nonimous
Agent or not?

Postby Nonimous » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:51 pm

A Ltd is a company which offers prepaid debit cards
If a cardholder spends money with one of their partners (say the Y emporium) that person gets 5% cashback

So Ms X spends £100 at Y Emporium
Subsequently A Ltd refunds Ms X £5
A Ltd invoices Y Emporium £7 (the £5 and a handling charge)

I don't think A Ltd can exempt their invoice as being an intermediary for financial services. Y is just selling their goods, X just buying them
My query is whether A has to add VAT to the entire £7 or whether they can charge it on only the £2. I have now argued myself in 3 different directions

Trevor S

Re: Agent or not?

Postby Trevor S » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:59 pm

I'd always suggest looking at the contents to get an idea of the intended supply chain. But, without that, here are some thoughts/possibilities.

It's hard to see how X could be making any supply. So the £5 is not consideration for a supply by X to anyone.

Y is making a supply of goods to X. If the contract between A and Y forces A to pay £5 to X, the consideration for the goods will be £95 - see notice 700/7 section 10.1. The remaining £2 would be consideration for A's supply of services to Y.

Alternatively, if there is no contractual requirement for A to pass money to X, but A chooses to, section 10.4 of the same notice would apply. Consideration for the goods supplied by Y to X is £100. The £5 paid by A to X is an inducement, with no VAT implications. The full £7 would be consideration for A's supply of services to Y.

In either circumstance, could A's service to Y be VAT exempt?

See the third example in section 4.8 of notice 701/49. But this applies to the fee that a card provider deducts from the amount paid to the retailer. Your question says that A invoices Y for £7 - so is this charge in addition to the fee that any debit/credit card provider would normally deduct?

If that example in section 4.8 doesn't exempt the charge, you could in the first scenario above try to say that the £2 was consideration for the service to Y of paying the £5 cashback to X. But in reality if Y had simply wanted to reduce the cost to X by £5, they could have done so without involving A. The real benefit that A brings to Y is the introduction of customer X - a taxable service. Whether VAT needs to be accounted for on the full £7, or just the £2 is dependent on whether A is required by Y to pass £5 to X, or has just chosen to do so.

I realise that I've also now arrived at three possible answers! But hopefully the reasoning will help when you check contract documentation!

Trevor S

Re: Agent or not?

Postby Trevor S » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:03 am

Apologies for the predictive text on my phone ... the first sentence of my previous post should start: "I'd always suggest looking at the contracts..."

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”