This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT registration Ebay business

Jlb22
VAT registration Ebay business

Postby Jlb22 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:52 am

Hi Everyone would really appreciate any help or advice on this. My rolling 12 month turnover on Ebay has gone over 85k, Ebay have frozen my listings and my shop selling jewelery and said I can't list any more until I am VAT registered. I only became a business seller and opened an Ebay shop 3 months ago (and also informed hmrc I was a soul trader 3 months ago) and have turned over only 20k since then. All sales before three months ago were personal items, inherited items (41 paintings!) etc. At the current rate I am not going to exceed 85k turnover in the next 12 months. Ebay say they will only accept a VAT number or VAT exception. What should I do apply for an exception? Or apply to be VAT registered? What should I say to hmrc? Any help would be so appreciated

les35

Re: VAT registration Ebay business

Postby les35 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:25 pm

It can be tricky applying to HMRC for an exception from registration. There is no guarantee that they will grant it.
I am concerned that eBay seem to have confused your private sales and your business sales; HMRC may do the same! Did you use the same account?

Jlb22

Postby Jlb22 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:34 pm

Hi yes it was a private account on which I sold so much personal stuff Ebay made me convert it into a business account. I then informed hmrc I was a sole trader. What would your advice be, just register for VAT now, and don't even try and get an exemption?

Jlb22

Postby Jlb22 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:35 pm

Yes Ebay have just looked back 12 months and total sales of over 85k. Only 21k since registration as a business 3 months ago.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”