This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT refund at airport - hair transplant eligible?

zxcv
VAT refund at airport - hair transplant eligible?

Postby zxcv » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:34 am

Hi,

I've just had a hair transplant done in Belgium for around 7,000Euros, which was subject to a 20% VAT charge.
As I flew back to London, I had a crazy thought - is this eligible to a VAT refund, esp now that we are no longer part of the EU?

Or is the airport VAT refunds only for physical products which are taken out of the country?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Z

pawncob

Re: VAT refund at airport - hair transplant eligible?

Postby pawncob » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:58 pm

We're still in the EU. Exports to other EU countries don't qualify for refunds.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Trevor S

Postby Trevor S » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:06 pm

I believe that this would be seen as a supply of services, rather than goods. Where the customer is not a business, most services are liable to VAT in whichever country the supplier is based - with no right of refund, regardless of whether or not the customer lives in an EU member state.

Trevor S

Postby Trevor S » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:21 pm

Although, for the reasons mentioned, I don't believe that it's relevant to this query - a note on Brexit...

We have technically left the EU, but are currently in a transition period where (in practice) the rules are unchanged. This is due to last until the end of 2020. After the transition period, the default position would be that goods imported from the EU will be treated the same as those imported from anywhere else. However, this could be impacted by any "deal" which might be reached before then.

zxcv

Postby zxcv » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:32 pm

Thanks all for the replies. I didn't think it was possible, but just wandered in case there was a small chance of me getting over 1000Euros back.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”