This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Taxes sending my computer to UK

maybewereall
Taxes sending my computer to UK

Postby maybewereall » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:00 pm

I have a PC I bought and built in Malaysia over a year ago. I work there, but I came back to N. Ireland during the coronavirus to help out my parents, and I wont be able to return for some time. I want my friend to take apart the PC and post me the parts: motherboard, CPU, GPU, Power Supply, Storage. I can then use it here until I am able to go back.

Would I have to pay any taxes or import duty on these? It would all be worth about £400 if it was brand new.

Trevor S

Re: Taxes sending my computer to UK

Postby Trevor S » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:09 pm

Unfortunately this isn't an area that I have any experience in, but the following HMRC guidance may help?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-3-bringing-your-belongings-pets-and-private-motor-vehicles-to-uk-from-outside-the-eu/notice-3-bringing-your-belongings-pets-and-private-motor-vehicles-to-uk-from-outside-the-eu#section4

JRG

Re: Taxes sending my computer to UK

Postby JRG » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:35 pm

If you had brought your computer with you when you came to the UK there would have been no duty to pay. I can’t see there would be any duty to pay if your friend posts it to you, just the postage and insurance.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”