This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Backdated VAT registration

bookwise
Backdated VAT registration

Postby bookwise » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:08 pm

I’m about to voluntarily register for VAT and ask for it to be backdated by 4 years, as I only make zero rated supplies (books) and have incurred considerable input tax on service fees in this period which I now understand I can reclaim.

However, this will mean recovering VAT on expenses which have been included gross in my self assessment returns, correctly at the time because I wasn’t VAT registered.

Is there a procedure for amending my income tax returns to exclude the input VAT I’ve now reclaimed and return the extra profit? It seems this must be a regular thing as VAT explicitly provides for backdating voluntary registrations by 4 years, but I can’t find any guidance on the fact that my earlier years expenses should now be included net of VAT and have been overstated.

Am I missing something?

pawncob

Re: Backdated VAT registration

Postby pawncob » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:51 pm

VAT adjustments will apply to current year, so increasing/reducing profit. I wouldn't bother trying to adjust PYAs.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

bookwise

Re: Backdated VAT registration

Postby bookwise » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:57 pm

Thank you - so I can just make a blanket vat adjustment in my current years p&l account for the VAT adjustment? That would be much more straightforward, thank you.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”