This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How VAT affects sole-trader turnover/expenses in SA?

Womble7
How VAT affects sole-trader turnover/expenses in SA?

Postby Womble7 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:56 pm

I am a sole trader who has recently registered for VAT (having hit the £85k threshold). I plan to claim back the VAT on my business expenses.

Having claimed back this VAT, then in my self assessment calc (of taxable profit) do I only deduct the net (of VAT) amount for expenses - or can I still offset the VAT-inclusive figure?

Similarly, do I use the ex-VAT or inc-VAT figure for my business turnover in self assessement?

Is the position different for any of this if I am in the Flat Rate Scheme for VAT (or any of the other VAT simplification-type schemes)?

les35

Re: How VAT affects sole-trader turnover/expenses in SA?

Postby les35 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:51 am

For non-FRS businesses, you use net figures for your SATR.
For FRS businesses, this is the HMRC guidance you need: www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/business-income-manual/bim31585

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”