This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How do VAT expenses work

danieldzc
How do VAT expenses work

Postby danieldzc » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:05 am

Forgive me if this is not the right place to ask.
If i am on PAYE and claim with my employer an expense providing them a VAT receipt. Then a week later the business i made the purchase with cancels the order as it turns out they are out of stock. I really need the item for work so i buy the same product but from another seller (for the same price). do i now have to go to my employer and let them know and provide the new VAT receipt? what does my employer do with the receipts? thanks

robbob

Re: How do VAT expenses work

Postby robbob » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:59 am

If you have provided a vat receipt (or a receipt showing vat !) to your employer there is a chance they will have claimed vat back or will be claiming vat back soon, if that purchase has later been cancelled you should provide your employer with confirmation that order has been cancelled and details of the new order - if one bill have vat and the other doesnt you wnat to ensure your employer hasnt inadvertantly claimed vat it should have done (or should reverse back out)

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”