This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT treatment on sales

taxaminute
VAT treatment on sales

Postby taxaminute » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:40 pm

Hi guys please can you let me know the VAT treatment on the following transaction

I sell my products online for example the item cost £100 but I received £90 the website takes 10% which covers the transaction fee for the credit cards and also bad debt insurance because people do fraud

I'm cautious about going over the VAT threshold at 85000 odd, when I record the transaction should I record the revenue you as £90 or £100

As I understand it financial transaction are outside of scope , just wanted to check the correct treatment

les35

Re: VAT treatment on sales

Postby les35 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:53 pm

Usually the website acts as your agent, so the 'value' of your sale is £100. The website's fees are costs to you, so treat as purchases in your accounts.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”