This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Overcharged import tax claim

DJPOTA
Overcharged import tax claim

Postby DJPOTA » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:15 pm

Afternoon all,

New member here, so thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to give. I'll keep this as brief as possible.

I imported some goods from China at the beginning of March and paid the import duty of circa £200 by card to the UPS courier at the time of delivery. I have an invoice for the delivery and that amount of duty paid. However, having done my own calculations since, I've worked out that the duty should instead have been around £95.

Long story short, I've tried contacting UPS to no avail (they never answer their phones or respond to email!) so I've now spoken to HMRC direct who've asked me to send in a C285 form. In completing that, I'm being asked for the Entry Processing Unit (EPU) number and the import entry number, which I don't have and can't get from UPS (due to their lack of communication).

Having done a bit more digging then, I've seen that a BOR286 can be used to report incorrect duty paid. However, whilst trying to fill that in it asks for a copy of the customs charge label on the parcel, which I didn't keep or get a picture of (yes, stupid I know) as the parcel came wrapped in plastic wrap and it was difficult to get off. As such, it has long since gone to landfill!

So, my question is... given that I can't get the EPU number and other references from UPS for the C285 and can't evidence the customs charge label required for the BOR286, is there any way I'm likely to get a refund of the circa £100 overpayment or do I (frustratingly) need to now chalk it up to experience and forget about it?

I'd extremely grateful for any advice.

Peter

ho9paul

Re: Overcharged import tax claim

Postby ho9paul » Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:46 pm

I'm having the same problem just like you and I have no idea how to claim back the overcharged tax payment. There's no customs label on my parcel. I tried contact UPS for the info I need, like EORI number and MRN number, they said I need to contact the government...

Please let me know if you have made your claim successfully at the end or I can just treat it as a lesson that never use UPS again. lol

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”