This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT Treatment on Sales to European Destination

JanieE
VAT Treatment on Sales to European Destination

Postby JanieE » Wed May 19, 2021 11:24 am

Good Morning
I have been on various webinars but I am still struggling with the scenario below and wonder if someone could give me some advice in 'layman's Terms'.

• Our Company (UK Entity) Receives a pen Order from our Customer who is based in UK.
• Our Head Office in Germany supplies and prints pens on our behalf and ships them Directly to the End User (Our Customer's Customer) in EU.
• Our Head Office in Germany bills us (the UK entity) for the goods (our cost of sales) with zero-rated German VAT.
• Our UK Entity bills our customer in the UK for these goods with Zero Rated VAT – Is this correct?
• Our Customer in the UK Zero Rates their customer (the end user). Is this correct?
• The end user does NOT get charged customs duties or VAT as it is a Euro-Euro shipment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

robbob

Re: VAT Treatment on Sales to European Destination

Postby robbob » Wed May 19, 2021 5:16 pm

Thats a doozy question you have here congrats for thinking this one up.

Trevor S

Re: VAT Treatment on Sales to European Destination

Postby Trevor S » Sun May 23, 2021 4:48 pm

I'll start by asking another question! Let's call your German supplier "A", your immediate UK based customer "B" and the ultimate EU based customer "C".

The goods are moving directly from A to C. Do you and/or B ever "own" the goods? Or does legal ownership transfer direct from A to either B or C?

Whatever the answer, I'll still need to give it a bit of thought! Just trying to work out first whether you would be seen as an agent supplying services or principal supplying goods.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”