This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Zero-rated input recovery

Tax law student
Zero-rated input recovery

Postby Tax law student » Wed May 26, 2021 5:15 pm

Hello,

I am a law student studying VAT, I fear my understanding of the basics is preventing me from grasping further topics.

What I think I know...

Standard rated - charge output tax at 20% and recover input tax at 20%.

Zero rated - charge output tax at 0% and recover input tax at 20 or 5%???

Exempt - charge no output tax and recover no input tax.

To give a scenario...

I am a trader in magazines (zero-rated) , I buy the magazines from a producer and sell them on. I add no value, I'm simply a re-seller.

I charge output tax at 0% to my customers, but am I allowed to recover input tax at 20% on the magazines I have bought despite the item being zero-rated?

I buy a magazine for £20.

I recover £2 input tax.

I sell the magazine for £30.

I charge no output tax.

My friend a qualified tax advisor tells me that because you have purchased the magazine at 0% VAT then there is no input tax you can recover unless you were either a producer of the magazine or added value to it when selling it.

How does your say typical cornershop or news agents work who buys and sells milk, magazines etc?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Trevor S

Re: Zero-rated input recovery

Postby Trevor S » Thu May 27, 2021 6:32 am

Hi - I have already seen this question on another forum: https://www.vatforum.co.uk/post/input-recovery-zerorated-supplies-11725385?pid=1326079276 - and have replied there.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”