This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Complimentary hospitality services

The Cyclist
Complimentary hospitality services

Postby The Cyclist » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:04 pm

Company runs an outdoor sports adventure park (mountain biking, hiking etc) and regularly provides free entry to tour operators for marketing and promotional purposes - including an annual trade day attended by up to 50 tour operators.

Other than food and drink - on which input VAT recovery is blocked - there are no other bought-in costs relating to these free admissions, which typically account for 4% of all admissions during any given year.

Could HMRC argue though input VAT on 4% of total overheads should be blocked on the basis that the free entry falls under the business entertainment rules? Or could it be argued that it's allowable marketing/advertising expenditure?

Alternatively, could HMRC argue that the free entries are non-business, and seek an input VAT restriction from that angle?

les35

Re: Complimentary hospitality services

Postby les35 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:56 pm

You raise an interesting point!
- is this a non-business activity? I think no, since you are marketing your services and presumably intend that the recipients purchase from you.
- is it simply your business model? You are providing free entry so that the tour operators will become your customers. But that does not prevent the business entertainment rules form applying!
- is this business entertainment, and so is input tax blocked? I fear so.
But I would resist any restriction on overhead input tax. The only non-deductible input tax is 4% of directly related costs.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”