This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HMRC Tax Investigations insurance

Gary wilkins
HMRC Tax Investigations insurance

Postby Gary wilkins » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:43 pm

Hi. i have just started a new LTD company, after my old company i closed as the IR35 was coming in, but now my work is outside the IR35, so have opened a new company, my old company had fine for a late tax return that wasn't even to be done, checking this with them, they have now dropped the penalty, but what an absolutes nightmare trying to get through to them, even the automated service hung up on me a number of times, anyway, they have sent me a letter saying we have dropped the fine, but if you think you have more tax to pay then do a return, i don't do my own tax, i have a job using a calculator, i'd rather pay for the service, it's peace of mind, well, most of the time, so, after receiving this letter i do feel a little nervous, seems the tax man shoots in the dark and don't care the cost to anybody he picks on, so what i wanted to ask is, where is the best place to buy insurance to be covered for this type of investigation.

AGoodman

Re: HMRC Tax Investigations insurance

Postby AGoodman » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:05 pm

If you employ an accountant to prepare your returns, they will often (I believe) offer insurance to cover the cost of any investigation.

I don't know but suspect there may not be insurers offering insurance to individuals/companies who are unknown to them as they will have no idea what risk they are taking on.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”