This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Unpaid Tax Problem

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:03 pm

Postby deanna » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:35 pm

A friend went through a few years of running a limited company and was not up to date with tax payments - he then got a job in Europe and the tax problem was left in the UK 3 years ago - he needs to work back in the UK again as a Sole Trader or similiar - how will he be able to find out what unpaid taxes are left behind and how will this be handled ?

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:18 pm

Postby demetris » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:21 am

I would suggest, depending on the amount of money involved, that he proceeds with extreme caution in whatever he says or does. A first step would be to make enquiries with the tax office his personal tax records were held. Also, he should find if the limited company is still alive. If the money involved is a lot, he may choose to go for voluntary creditors arrangement or wait until statutory debt barring. I personally think he should speak to a professional advisor.

Demetris Savva BA FCCA
FREE Special Report on how to save tax, written in plain language for small businesses and individuals, sent automatically to subscribers to FREE tax and business advice newsletters.

Ian McTernan CTA
Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:02 pm

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:29 am

You should first check with Companies House to see if the company still exists. It also matters as to what sort of taxes were left unpaid. You should also enquire of the Inspector who dealt with the company's tax to discover what is outstanding. Depending on the position within the company it may be necessary to regularise the position as there may have been an overdrawn director's loan account which could cause considerable problems.

I have experience of dealing with such cases, back duty cases, company reinstatement cases and enquir cases and would be glad to be of assistance on a fee paying basis.


Ian McTernan CTA
McTernan Associates Ltd
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Email through link on website:

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:04 pm

Postby TT » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:59 pm

Thank you for the above responses.

I understand a person may not be liable for such unpaid taxes if he is not domiciled in the country for a minimum number of years. Is this so? How many years?

Does not being domiciled include working in the UK for a period of say, 30 to 60 days per year?

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”