This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Advice Please

john007

Postby john007 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:25 pm

Hi can someone please help me out with some advice on my situation.
I have not been registered for tax for nearly seven years. In that time I have been traveling, most of my money has come from small cash work just to get me by. I arrived back in the UK nearly two years ago and since then have started working for myself doing bits and pieces but to this point I have not registered for tax. My income last year rose to around 20 k. So now at this point I need to get this sorted but am now very concerned with whatÂ’s going to happen.

When for self employed will I automatically be asked what I have been doing over this period?

And what would my best option be?

Thanks for any advice.

claymore

Postby claymore » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:45 pm

Please contact your nearest tax office right away. When you set up in business, you are required to notify HM Revenue & Customs (formerly Inland Revenue) within 6 months.

Given the amount of your income, you will almost certainly be liable to pay Income Tax. But because of the delay in telling the Revenue about your business, I'm afraid that you have left yourself open to the possibility of penalties being charged for "failure to notify chargeability".

If you make a full and voluntary disclosure before the Revenue "catches up with you" - in other words, if you tell them before they find out - you will stand a much better chance of the penalties being reduced. Don't wait for them to get in touch with you - the responsibility in law is for you to tell them.

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:59 pm

I trust that you have done something about notifying your chargeability for the year ended 5th April 2006 by now. You only have until 31st Jan 2007 to pay all your tax for 2005-06 to avoid penalties. If you haven'tdone anything get your head out of the sand and if you have resolved it well done

bill@wamstaxltd.com
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”