This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Statements of Assets and Liabilities

Ellie 123

Postby Ellie 123 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:19 am

Please can anyone help with my queries? Due to various family implications I submitted some late tax returns which the Revenue enquired into. An enquiry into my 2001/2002 tax return has been going on for nearly two years due to the Bank's failure to provide me with statements of my bank accounts for this period. At this time I was in business with my husband as a partnership. We seperated in October 2002 and I continued part of the business on my own. The Revenue began an enquiry into my 2003/04 tax return. In December 2002 my current boyfriend moved into my house and from that date we have lived as a couple. In April 2004 we decided to relocate and lead a new life together. The Revenue requested I complete Assets and Liabilities statements in respect of 06/04/2001 and 06/04/2002 which I did. They are now requesting I complete one for 31/08/2004 a date obviously outside the enquiry date. By this time my boyfriend and I had joint personal accounts and possessions. Can the Revenue insist I complete this form as we feel it is an invasion of our Human Rights and has nothing to do with our life together? The tax enquiry refers to me only, not him. Can the Revenue run two investigations into seperate tax years concurrently?

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:08 am

In theory, you may be within your rights to do so.

However, whether it is a prudent move is another matter.

The Tax Inspector may starting issuing Notices instead.

I would suggest that you consider professional representation.

pallet

Postby pallet » Thu May 04, 2006 7:57 am

NO ASK THEM TO SEND YOU A COPY OF ALL THE INFORMATION THAT THERE HOLD ON FILE SO YOU CAN SEE WHAT THEY TRYING TO GET AT

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:05 am

Merry Christmas to All and I trust that you have got to the bottom of the enquiry and haven't provided the SOA which had nothing to do with the enquiry into an earlier period regards
bill@wamstaxltd.com
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:09 am

If HMRC haven't opened an enquiry into your tax return for the year ended 5th April 2005 by 31st January 2007 then unless you have omitted any relevant matters from that years tax return there would be unlikely to be any opportunity for them to open one after that date. This assumes that there was some reason behind their request for a 31-8-04 SOA
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”