This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Informing on innocent taxpayers

burnbanks

Postby burnbanks » Sat May 06, 2006 11:49 pm

Thanks to all for advice.
The situation is now clearer, if mildly farcical. The Inspector herself volunteered the source and nature of her information. There was no need to ask Newcastle.
Turns out my mother advertised a room to let for £50 a week some years ago and mentioned the fact that it was in a large house.
The Inspector thought the whole house was being let. For £50 a week? Londoners eat your heart out!
The irony was that nobody took the room. It was too expensive.
I wonder if the Inspector accepts this or whether she still thinks my mother is a serial landlord?

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Sun May 07, 2006 12:02 am

Impossible to say.

But hopefully your explanation will conclude the matter.

pallet

Postby pallet » Sun May 07, 2006 1:09 am

I hope its as easy as that. I expect you will be asked for proof that the room was never used or somthing as impossable as that but lets hope not. It just seem strange that the inspector asked your mother for lots of information only to accept the event never happened which is what most t/ps would like him to acccept.I wish you luck and hope the inspector realises your mother has not lied and caused any loss to the crown

Kiran

Postby Kiran » Mon May 22, 2006 1:43 am

Just to add, "rent a room Relief" is available since many years now...So even if your mum did receive the said £ 50 a week for a room in her own house, it is well within the Relief!". Also note, the Tax lady would agree to visit the tax payer if requested, should a meeting be necessary.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”