This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Dividend payments

sandycastle

Postby sandycastle » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:57 am

Hello,

I am just starting out in business and have a question relating to salary/dividend payments. I understand the principle of this, and have decided to pay myself a (fairly) small salary and take additional funds as dividends to suplement my salary. I have a couple of questions around this though:

1) I have been told that the IR will "frown" upon seeing monthly dividend payments as they will count it as part of a salary (and hence taxable at standard rate) - is this correct?
2) If answer to above is yes, will quarterly payments be better?
3) I understand that all dividend payments come out of company profit, and are therefore liable for 10% corporation tax (apart from the first 10K profit?). Are there any tax implications for me personally - again I was told 'no' by one person (ie 5k profit means I can take 4.5K after corp. tax), but 'yes' by another (so 4.5k minus 22% personal tax).

Many thanks,
Sandy

hashman

Postby hashman » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:25 am

1. As long as the paper work has been done properly HMRC can frown all they like but there is nothing they can do about the situation.
3. Dividends are a distribution of company profits and are not allowable for corporation tax. In the shareholder's hands they are treated as a net payment which carries a tax credit of 1/9th. In the case of a basic rate taxpayer there will be nothing further to pay (unless the grossed up dividend takes them into higher rates) but a higher rate taxpayer will have to pay an amount equal to 25% of the net dividens received with their self assessment.
From 1 April 2006 the small companies rate of CT is 19% on profits up to £300,000 (assuming there are no associated companies).

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”