This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Coming clean with the inland revenue

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:39 pm

Postby steve7 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:49 pm

Need your help
Myself and two of my business partners have been running a business on line since January this year we have made 250k we have not declared any of our income to the inland revenue. We would like to come clean with the inland revenue. will we receive any penalties?

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:40 pm

Postby al_eebee » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:53 pm

If it is only since January then things are not TOO bad.

You will probably each suffer a £100 penalty for failing to notify HMRC re income tax, but so long as you tell them before 5 October there should be no further penalty re IT/NIC as HMRC have time to issue returns to you.

You are in SA so the first tax will be payable by 31 Jan 2007 based on profits for the period to 5 April 2006.

You will need to decide when you will prepare accounts to each year - 31 March / 5 April is the easiest as it save having to apportion profits in the early years and carry overlap relief until the business ceases, but there may well be valid reasons to chose another date.

You will also need to consider VAT registration and whether you should already have registered and been charging, which for an on-line business could be a minefield and I shall leave for others to pick up, but could leave you in an awkward hole.

The important thing for the sums involved is get full advice and notify HMRC as soon as possible.

Bob Jones
Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:43 pm

Postby Bob Jones » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:52 pm

If you are not already in receipt of self assessment returns then you must notify HMRC by 5 October - if you do so there will be no penalty. Even if you do not notify chargeability by 5 October there will be no penalty provided you pay the tax due in full by 31 January next. This applies to the other partners as well.
If you are already in receipt of self assessment returns you simply include the income on that return. If this is a partnership then a partnership return will need to be completed. Provided you comply with all this there will be no penalty - if you don't then the maximum penalty will be 100% of the tax due - not £100 - 100% of the tax.
Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:13 pm

Postby » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:43 am

If you made 250K since Jan then go see a professional. There may be ways of saving future tax.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”