This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on 2nd property rented out but occasional use by owner

StevieT

Postby StevieT » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:32 am

My wife and I jointly own a 2nd property bought March 2004 and financed by re-mortgaging our primary residence. I used the property regularly in 2004/5 when working away from home, there was no income from it. I started working away much less and since April 2005 (how convenient) I've rented it out to a work colleague at below market rate as I still used the property ie I slept in it maybe 10 times since April 2005. Can this be treated as a business-as-usual BTL/rented or are there tax implications as I have used the property to sleep in tax year 2005/6?

Simon Sweetman

Postby Simon Sweetman » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:52 am

There are no implications about income.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”