This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self Assessment – Notification from IR that assessment no longer required.

bluebay

Postby bluebay » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:50 am

Hello

I’m in a situation whereby I was infromed by the IR that I was no longer required to submit a return (From tax yr 2005/6) as my tax afairs were relatively straight forward. However, I replied informing the IR that in the respective tax yr I had acquired a property and was renting it out. The IR subsequently requested i provide the relevant paperwork with regards to my income and running expenses. I sent back the relevant information, (this was over a year ago). As yet, I have had no additional response from the IR – I contacted them, (via their helpline) asking if I should still be completing a tax return to which I was infored that until i’m told otherwise, this it is not necessary for me to comeplete a return. My concern is that will I have to pay any penalties if i am at some point requested to submit a return as respective time periods for submisison have elapsed ? Or am I in a safe position as the IR have suggested I can refrain from submitting a return for the time being ?

Many thanks

Balmain

Postby Balmain » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:59 am

Dear bluebay

If you have rental income you will need to complete a tax return.

Glad to see your finaly getting around to sorting it out, you now have seven days to complete and submit. Thats 4 days more that if you had waited until monday to ask.

In respect of last years return if you wish for any feed back on this you will need to put this in writing.

Balmain

Peter D

Postby Peter D » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:02 am

Left and right hand problem here. Write to the IR today and declare you are concerned as they have declined to issue a SA form. When you say you contacted them, do you mean by telephone, useless in writting only and written reply required. You could complete one online but the IR password system closed at 8pm today. All individuals with a second or primary non PAYE are required to complete a SA. Regards Peter

al_eebee

Postby al_eebee » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:07 am

You may bo OK so far as penalties are concerned.

It sounds as if you have notified HMRC in plenty of time and they have failed to issue a return for the year.

Whilst it is self assessment nowadays if HMRC have failed to issue a return despite having been informed of the need for one prior to 5/10 following the end of the year the new source commenced then the relevant date for a penalty becoming due should move onto 3 months from issue of notice requiring completion of a return by HMRC

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:30 pm

Of course you could always save any risk of penalties and /or interest by calculating and paying whatever tax you consider was payable for 2005-06.
regards
bill@wamstaxltd.com
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

bluebay

Postby bluebay » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:34 am

Thnks for your comments - I contacted the HMRC - as Al_eebee suggested, as I had previously informed HMRC of a change in circumstances and they had failed to issue a return, I will not be subject to any penalties - I've been given 3 mths to file my respective return, once i'm officially notified.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”