This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Lost receipts!

MARGARET101

Postby MARGARET101 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:25 am

What do I do to satisfy the Taxman as I have lost receipts?
In 1991 I had my present house extended and renovated at a total cost of £24,917.
During the move into the house all the receipts were lost and today I am unable to locate the builder.
But I have a list of every item of work done, cost of each and the date of payment for each item.
Now need to show that I did spend that amount of money on the house.
Is there a legally accepted method where I can swear or certify etc that I actually spent the money ?
If so, what do I need to do please ?

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:06 am

Basically you need to satisfy the HMRC that the expenses were actually incurred by you and paid. However I am intrigued as to why you now need to provide the receipts and substantiate the expenses if as appears to be the case you lived in the property. Are you prepared to expand on the relevance and reasons otherwise I would suggest you either put your cards on the table to HMRC and ask them what they want you to produce to satisfy them - or get a professional to argue it for you? Click on the "Find a Professional" on the right hand HELP tab

regards
bill@wanstaxltd.com
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

Cynic

Postby Cynic » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:04 am

Is your list an original schedule from the time or something you have produced recently for this purpose?

HMRC will be suspicious of a 16 year old list with the detail you mention when you are unable to locate the corresponding receipts.

What kind of taxman are you refering to? Is it a VAT issue?

MARGARET101

Postby MARGARET101 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:35 am

Thank you to wamstax and Cynic for your replies.
The facts are:
In 1986 I made my daughter and myself tenants in common in equal shares of the condemed
cottage I owned.
She has since married and owns half a house with her husband.
In 1991 the condemed cottage value was £30,000, I then renovated the cottage at a cost to
myself of £24,000.
So I should have owned £(15,000+24,000) = £39,000 (73%) and my daughter £15,000 (27%)
but I did nothing about it!!
I would now like to correct the percentages but do not have the receipts for the work.
But I do have the original list, made in 1991, of all the items, cost and date paid.
I need to satisfy the Land Registry about the expediture to change the percentage and wonder
if HMRC would be involved.
Please can you say if I can 'swear' or something that I truly spent the money in 1991.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”