This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

property search ?

bigbobo2

Postby bigbobo2 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:33 am

i am under investigation and have had questions raised as to what propertys i have owned in certain years ,say from 2000 onwards ,my memory is a bit vaughe and so is my record keeping ,and i cant remember when i sold/purchased propertys do you have any idea where i can look and also where does the taxman look to check ownership of propertys now and the history
regards bobo

Peter D

Postby Peter D » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:47 am

Your solicitor and the Land Registry, bank accout transactions. I assume this is a IT issue not a CGT Issue. Regards Peter

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:43 am

Hi Bigbobo,
HMRC can get access to Land registry in England Wales etc and Register of Sasines in Scotland. Into the bargain they do also have access to the District valuer who inevitably has considerably more information as regards renting and development etc.

Be very careful here as if you provide part only of the information then of course they might think that you are concealign matters intentionally.

If you haven't already got a tax enquiry adviser then I would suggest that you engage one now before you get yourself into more trouble. I would especially recommend that avenue if you have understated your rental incomes on the one hand and also potentially any self employment or company profits used to acquire your properties. Be very careful if they ask for a mandate to approach your solicitor(s) or bank(s) as this would be an interesting places for them to be and trawl through your financial papers.

regards and hope this helps.
bill@wamstaxltd.com
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
regards and hope this helps
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

bigbobo2

Postby bigbobo2 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:11 am

thanks for your replys ,but if for instance the taxman has reasons to belive you have propertys not disclosed ,than why dont they just tell you what they know what you have , instead of entrapment as in "you tell us what youve got ,and i the tax man after saying do you have any more ? will tell you what you really have ?,why is it so cat and mouse ,is it because they dont always have such information to hand also is there a property search engine that will tell you when a name is put in just what propertys are owned by this person in specific ?

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:45 am

Hi Big Bob,
HMRC can in fact trawl all UK for an individuals properties but it can bring up "possible hits" that could be misleading. Now just imagine if you were sitting on the other side of the desk and somebody said to you "I cannot remember all my properties" Would you believe them? OK maybe you would but why should HMRC divulge information to you about what they know when you could have others (not necessarily registered in your own name) that they do not necessarily have details of in theior records. I would just say why does it have to be so cat and mouse from your end as well. We tax advisers have to have an open mind when dealing with enquiries on this site and therefore know that sometimes we are not getting the whole story/facts
regards
bill@wamstaxltd.com

bigbobo2

Postby bigbobo2 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:58 am

thanks for your help all taken on board
regards bob

pallet

Postby pallet » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:15 am

D.P.A inland revenue Newcastle will give you all the inspector knows and all t/ps should go there as the taxman does tend to cheat but freedom of information makes it harder for them to do so

bigbobo2

Postby bigbobo2 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:54 am

hi pallet thanks for your reply ,but i can't understand what you mean D.P.A inland revenue Newcastle who or what is this and is it open to any one to enquire ,is it a web site ,is it a tax office ?

pallet

Postby pallet » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:25 am

Hi
If anyone wants to know what the taxman holds on them they can now find out
becase of the freedom of information act.
It is open to all but no one will tell you because it stops the cat and mouse game the taxman likes to play and shows when they are not telling you the truth, be very carefull some of these inspectors are not nice people only tell them what they ask no more or no less so they do their job and you dont get hoodwinked into doing it for them

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:19 am

Hi Pallet,
I assume that you are in the same game as myself getting people off prosecution etc etc but I always make them aware of the "exemptions in the Freedom of Information Act 2000" where disclosing the information would be prejudicial. It is dangerous and foolhardy to assume that you can thwart proper and straightforward investigation work. Inevitably every officer will eventually tell you what they have but if at that point you have "forgotten" about something like a property then are you really going to be able tossatisfy HMRC that you have been honest and upright with them. Equally so if you sign false documents you can move from a civil settlement possibility to RCPO.
Inevitably your comments have a lot of merit but some might think that you are becoming an old cynic like myself
regards
bill@wamstaxltd.com

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”