This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Moving overseas during enquiry

Pumpkin House

Postby Pumpkin House » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:39 am

Hello
Can the tax man stop me moving abroad?

I've been planning to move abroad for well over a year now and in the middle of my big plans, the tax man has opened up an enquiry which I had hoped would be all sorted by now.

So far, we've been corresponding via letters and now he wants to meet which I am quite happy about because I just want this resolved. A meeting has been scheduled for a week before I'm due to fly out (great timing I know) and obviously if it can all be sorted out in the one meeting I don't need to divulge my overseas plans.

In case you're wondering, this is a totally legitimate move and has nothing to do with me wanting to flee the country to avoid paying my taxes! It's just bad luck with the timing of it all.

So should I keep quiet unless I have to, and then if I have to mention it e.g. he suggests another meeting after the date I depart, would he have any legal right to stop me from flying.

I have a new job all lined up and loads of meetings scheduled so I can't delay the departure. Equally I don't want to have to fly back thousands of miles for another meeting.

Finally, my accountant has been asked to attend this meeting but he lives miles away and to be honest I don't know if he will be of any great use. All his comments regarding the situation have already been noted in writing and equally I feel confident in being able to answer any questions as I have nothing to hide.

Many thanks

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:05 am

You are skating on thin ice firstly for contemplating attending meetings without your tax advisor and secodly for not thinking that HMRC may not know you are departing abroad e.g. will anybody see your house up for sale - with possible inhibition if HMRC can establish sufficient debts - or will you be able to keep quiet about your plans. In any case he could not stop your trip BUT could make him jittery if you keep stum and he suspects
regards and hope this helps
bill@wamstaxltd.com
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

Pumpkin House

Postby Pumpkin House » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:02 am

Hi
Comments noted about not taking my accountant with me. Thnaks.
I'm not quite sure what you are saying. I can't see how HMRC could possibly know of my intentions to move abroad. My house is already sold and I don't see how a for sale board would induce HMRC or anyone to think "oh they must be moving abroad". What do you mean by "with possible inhibition of HMRC can establish sufficient debts"?
Thanks

doityourselftax

Postby doityourselftax » Fri May 02, 2008 5:39 am

You are also under no obligation to meet with HMRC. You would be entirely within your rights to cancel the meeting and tell them you wish to deal with the matter by correspondence.

Then provide them with your new address when abroad. Of course it will be more difficult to deal with matters once abroad.

Pumpkin House

Postby Pumpkin House » Fri May 02, 2008 6:25 am

Thanks but we've been corresponding for over a year now and it's come to the point where we're just going round in circles.
I just want it to come to a conclusion. I'm not worried about the meeting and have nothing to hide.

pallet

Postby pallet » Wed May 07, 2008 6:58 am

Hi
If you have your meeting you will see what they are looking for. Then go abroad .If you can leave the address for the revenue and get them to foward on or somewhere as a care/of.
that way you do not get any nasty callers abroad because the revenue have treaties with some countries and if they want you they could find you but if you keep answering the mail from the UK why should you tell them what you are doing .Remember tax returns are on your world wide income until you have a agreement

pallet

Postby pallet » Wed May 07, 2008 7:03 am

Hi
If you have your meeting you will see what they are looking for. Then go abroad .If you can leave the address for the revenue and get them to foward on or somewhere as a care/of.
that way you do not get any nasty callers abroad because the revenue have treaties with some countries and if they want you they could find you but if you keep answering the mail from the UK why should you tell them what you are doing .Remember tax returns are on your world wide income until you have a agreement

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”