This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Another twist on rented property

Bowmore

Postby Bowmore » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:25 am

Hi

I have a family home in Berkshire but work in Exeter where I bought a flat to live in during the week. I financed the flat by extending borrowing on the family home. I may soon have to move again and because of the current market conditions, I propose to rent the flat.

Because the loan is secured on the family home, will I be able to allow interest charges against the rental income from the flat or must I get a buy to let mortgage on the flat to be able to claim the allowance ?

This would be more expensive but cheaper than paying the tax.

Thanks

Scooby7

Postby Scooby7 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:54 am

You should be OK - it isn't what surity you give, but the purpose for which you borrowed the money.

You need to be able to show that the extra borrowings went directly to buying the 2nd house

Bowmore

Postby Bowmore » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:58 am

Thanks Scooby7

cranleys

Postby cranleys » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:41 pm

Bowmore

I would recommend you have the flat valued for when you move out as this may be needed for your claim for the interest to be allowable.

Colin Davison
Property tax advisor
colin@cranleys.co.uk
+44 1256 830000

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”