This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How can I demonstrate that mistake was not "Careless"?

mullet
Re: How can I demonstrate that mistake was not "Careless"?

Postby mullet » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:52 pm

HMRC won't suspend a penalty relating to an omission.
I agree with all of your post apart from the first sentence!AK
Sorry, I should have researched this better. Right thought, wrong word: I almost remembered it correctly. Replace omission with "silly error" (no disrespect to OP). I was thinking of CH83143 http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/chmanual/CH83143.htm which says that a penalty relating to a very straightforward mistake (but still careless behaviour) cannot be suspended. Examples 4 & 5 relate to this, being:

4. Termination payment (paid after P45) omitted.
5. Entering net pay instead of tax deducted.

Given that the OP's circumstances appear to match example 4, I can't see that there is much chance of success in arguing for suspension of the penalty.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”