This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

compliance check need help!!!!

hezb
compliance check need help!!!!

Postby hezb » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:56 pm

Have an compliance check for 2008/2009, when they asked for a meeting I asked for all information they wanted to be sent in a letter. Have just recieved this and noticed that the last company that i was a partner in and ceased trading with on 11/04/2005 have still been paying me via paye!!!!! called the accountant concered and they have confirmed that I had ceased trading with that company on that date as my p45 shows. I need help from a good accountant to help sort this mess out!!!
I am in Hampshire if this helps
many thanks

hezb

Re: compliance check need help!!!!

Postby hezb » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:53 pm

sorry its 2009/2010 tax year

hezb

Postby hezb » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:41 pm

i have just found out from the accountant that they mixed up my and my brothers (who was my partner in the business) NI numbers and that is why they are showing under me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a mess really need some advice as how to procced with this not only with the tax office but what to do about the accountant!!!!

mullet

Postby mullet » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:20 pm

Can you sort out your terminolgy please so that we can understand what you are saying.
the last company that i was a partner in and ceased trading with
You can be a shareholder, director or employee (even all three at once) of a company. Not a partner. To cease trading relates to a sole trader or a partnership. If you were in partnership then you can cease to be a partner. What do you mean here?
have still been paying me via paye!!!!!
Directors and employees are paid via PAYE. Partners take drawings but they are taxed on their share of the partnership profits.
confirmed that I had ceased trading with that company on that date as my p45 shows
Which suggests that you were an employee.
who was my partner in the busines
Which suggests a partnership.

hezb

Postby hezb » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:03 pm

we were both directors of a limited company, that ceased trading in 2008 due to the death of my brother. I left the company 11/04/2005 and started as a sole trader under SA. The compliance check has shown that payment have been made in my name under paye from the other business from 2005- the end of the business due to the accountant mixing up our NI numbers. What do I need to do and what liability does the account have for this mistake.

many thanks

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:39 pm

It would seem you have to repay the money which you should not have had?

And the company needs to recover the PAYE & NI from HMRC.

AvocadoK

Postby AvocadoK » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:58 am

[quote="hezb"T]he compliance check has shown that payment have been made in my name under paye from the other business from 2005- the end of the business due to the accountant mixing up our NI numbers. [/quote]

Do you mean that no payment was actually received by you after you left the company, but the PAYE records are incorrectly saying it was?

AK

hezb

Postby hezb » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:54 pm

yes no money recieved but showing on hmrc

AvocadoK

Postby AvocadoK » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:07 pm

In which case, you cannot be taxed on this income. You will just need to explain that you did not receive it. You will need to be prepared to demonstrate this by providing copies of your bank statements.

AK

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”