This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self Assessment Check

Gussles
Self Assessment Check

Postby Gussles » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:21 pm

Hi

I wonder if anyone could help. In the 2009/2010 tax year I worked through my own limited company for some months, and for about 6 months of the time I was on a fixed term contract which meant that tax and national insurance was automatically deducted in the same way as PAYE.

I completed my SA return - and also a P35/P14 for the work through my company. Everything through the company was taken as dividends. When I completed the P35 I inserted an amount in Pay in previous employment which was the net amount I received from the fixed term contract - I now realise that it should have been the gross amount. I carried these figures through to the P60 so again it should have been the gross figure. In terms of pay through the limited company, it should have been zero but the field on the P35 form would not allow me to enter zero, so I mistakenly thought it might need my personal allowance figure which I entered.

I have received a letter checking my self assessment as the name of the company I entered through which I worked the fixed term contract is different to the name of the company that has submitted their own PAYE details. In other words, they are one and the same company but it appears that employment was handled through a different company name. I think I have persuaded the inspector that they are in fact one and the same company.

I have amended the P35/P14 online. I am unable to amend the P60 despite being told by the helpline that amending the P35 would automatically generate a P60 to alter.

The long and the short of it is that I have entered a net figure when I should have entered a gross figure, and I entered a figure in the P35 which I didn't need to. In fact I guess that I didn't need to submit a P35 at all if there was no income from my limited company.

Therefore I don't believe anything is due. It's really a case of my misunderstanding. I have replied to the letter enclosing copies of documents required, P45, schedule of earnings etc.

My question is do you think this will be the end of the investigation? To my mind they are honest mistakes, and even correcting them does not actually alter the fact that the correct tax was paid.

Thanks

mullet

Re: Self Assessment Check

Postby mullet » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:42 pm

My question is do you think this will be the end of the investigation?
Hopefully. But that is a question that only the Inspector (or if you are dissatisfied, his/her manager) can answer.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”